
I sent Ethan off to first grade today, with hand sanitizer and a box of kleenex in tow. We had fun organizing all his new school supplies yesterday into his backpack. He was excited and nervous all at the same time. I asked him what he was most excited about. He said that he would have his own desk this year, instead of sharing a table with other kids. That was going to be pretty cool, he said. I briefly reminisced about my own experiences in elementary school. I could clearly recall the excitement of fresh, unused notebooks and crayons. That was always my favorite part. But last night, Ethan could barely fall asleep, worrying about the unknown of today. He will have a new teacher and many new kids to meet. I told him to remember how many great friends he made last year in kindergarten and how much he loved his teachers. And I reminded him that maybe some of the kids from his class last year will be in his first grade class. I remembered when I was little, walking into my classroom the first day of school hoping to see some of my friends faces. It was very nerve-racking. No wonder he is so nervous.
Dustin said he walked Ethan to his classroom this morning. Ethan had a desk ready for him with his name on the front, just like he'd hoped. Dustin mentioned that all the kids were completely silent, feeling the same nervousness as Ethan, I'm sure. The teacher will enjoy quiet for a little while perhaps, until the kids get comfortable with their new surroundings. And then chaos will ensue. I can't wait to hear all about Ethan's first day when he gets off the bus later!
2 comments:
What a handsome young man. I'm sure that he will continue to be a stellar student. We're so proud of your family. You are both great parents and your happy children (well--mostly happy)reflect that.
Love, Mommy
You have a special little man in Ethan. I miss being in his primary class.
Post a Comment