Ok, ok. I know I'm not the best blogger in the world. I guess there are actually people who check my blog, and there's never anything new to look at. To all of you: I'm sorry!
I have been receiving gentle nudges from family and friends to post something new. Hmmm...that would require some actual effort, and something to post about.
I guess I did leave out the part about when Owen got his very first stitches two weeks ago. We went to Walmart for our weekly Saturday night shopping trip. And of course, the kids b-lined for the little coin operated ice cream truck at the front of the store. They like to sit in it and pretend that something is happening, because we never actually put quarters in the thing. But they make the darn things so hard to get your kids out of. I reached in to grab Owen, who resisted of course, and suddenly he slipped forward and bashed his forehead into the plexiglass dashboard. He immediately started screaming. I pulled him out, thinking that he had just bruised his head as usual. But unfortunately, there was a 3/4" hole above his right eyebrow. Very disturbing to see...especially when it started bleeding excessively.
The Walmart greeter was very unhelpful, as we scrambled to grab paper towels to stop the bleeding. Someone suggested taking him to the urgent care center down the road. We drove there quickly, only to discover that they had closed at 8 pm. Argh! So we called the insurance to find out the only urgent care open was a twenty minute drive. Luckily, the bleeding had stopped by then and Owen had calmed down. At least we didn't have to go to the ER. It would have taken twice as long.
At the urgent care, it was so sad to see Owen wrapped tightly in a sheet like a papoose with the nurse holding his head down, and Dustin preventing him from squirming, so the doctor could stitch him up. He screamed the whole time, his face bright red. I don't blame him. But all is well now. He got his stitches out last Friday without even a whimper. I was so proud of him. And the gash is healing up nicely. I think it will make a nice tough guy scar above his eyebrow. And I'm sure it won't be his last.
Now everyone asks us when we are going to sue Walmart. I don't know about that.
1 comment:
That doesn't sound like fun! How lame of the Walmart person to not even go get their first aid kit. (I'm sure OSHA says they have to have one somewhere). Glad Owen (and you guys) survived the stitches....I don't know how I'd do in that situation.
Post a Comment