Tuesday, June 8, 2010

He Lost It


Two nights ago, Dustin was brushing Ethan's teeth and decided that it was high time for that loose tooth to come out. Ethan was brave and let Dustin pull on it. It hurt just a little, but on the second try, it came right out! After the bleeding stopped, they washed off the tooth and put it in the Tooth Fairy pillow. Ethan was pleasantly surprised the next morning to find 2 dollars in its place! I told him that I was amazed at how much his tooth was worth, because when I was little I was lucky to get 25 or 50 cents. He asked why I didn't get $2.00 for my teeth. So I launched into an explanation about inflation and how things are worth more money now. I told him that his Grandma Oehrig probably only got 10 cents for her teeth back in the 1950's. I don't think he totally grasped the concept, but at least he was happy about his 2 dollars.

Then he went to wake up Dustin to show him his money. Somehow, Ethan found his tooth buried under daddy's pillow. I'm not sure how it ended up there...but I had to do some quick thinking. So I told Ethan that the Tooth Fairy must have decided to give the tooth back to his parents for safe keeping. Now Ethan carries the tooth around everywhere, and insisted on bringing it to church on Sunday to show all of his friends. He's so happy to finally have that thing out of his mouth. With his adult tooth coming in behind the loose one, he was scared that he would have two teeth there forever. At least he won't have a gap for long. The permanent tooth is well on its way to filling in the hole.

2 comments:

Duncan said...

Haha! Poor Dustin. He must have been very tired when he played tooth fairy.

Marg said...

One down and how many to go?