Thursday, November 1, 2007

The used and abused apostrophe

I was informed that I misused an apostrophe in the title of my blog (thanks c5.) I promptly removed it. But I am so ashamed of myself. I usually pride myself on having good writing skills. I even read a book in my college English class about punctuation! Eats, Shoots & Leaves is the title, I believe. (Actually the funniest book about punctuation I've ever read...not to mention the only one I've ever read.) It had about three chapters devoted to the apostrophe alone. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I know it was at least one chapter. It's by some British lady who goes on and on about the abuse of English punctuation. And it's really true...sad, but true. So for anyone who noticed my punctuation fopah, I apologize. Oh, and does a period go inside or outside the parenthesis at the end of a sentence? I've been confused about that for a while now.

Oh, I just remembered why it said "Sharp's" instead of "Sharps." I originally typed "Ahh! What's going on at the Sharp's house?" But it was too long, so I deleted "house" but forgot to remove the possessive on Sharp's. Ha! I knew I didn't do that on purpose. But I guess I need a proof reader.

4 comments:

c5 said...

If what's between the parentheses is a separate sentence, the period goes inside. (This is a separate sentence.)

If what's between the parentheses is part of another sentence, the period goes outside (like this).

Now, what I'm wondering is how you found the Web log I just set up. Is there a link to it in my profile that I don't see, or do you have some sort of referral link report?

Leah said...

hehehe...I found your blog. Go me!

c5 said...

Okay, I found your secret tracking method in the source code of your Web log. I guess I should have thought to check there right away.

Leah said...

oh...you are no fun! j/k

I do recommend using a blog monitor, though. You just never know.