Monday, May 10, 2010

First Swim

For the last half of April, Ethan watched "patiently" out our front window, which has a perfect view of the neighborhood pool. The pool man had been working for weeks to get the pool ready for the summer. But every time the pool man would leave for the day, he would put a chain and lock around the gate. I had to tell Ethan again and again that "No, the pool is NOT open yet."

Then, the day arrived. The pool opened on May 1st. And of course, Ethan begged me every day to take him swimming. But the thought of going to the pool alone with three kids struck me with fear. (And I also secretly dreaded putting a swimsuit on this postpartum body.) So, I told the kids that the weather wasn't cooperating. It was partially true. It was cloudy, not extremely hot, and it rained at the beginning of the week. Then the weather warmed up and the sun came out. I had no more excuses, so I finally gave in. And the kids rejoiced!

I'm not sure if Alivia liked being in the water. She didn't cry, but it seemed she was merely tolerating it for my benefit. I think as she gets older and can splash and play she will enjoy it more. She sure did look darn cute in her swimsuit and sun hat though!

The boys had fun with their new super squirter and floaties. Livi and I had to watch out for crossfire. She definitely did not like being splashed in the face. After a while, she fell asleep and I enjoyed lounging in the sun while the boys played to their hearts desire in the pool. Now that I've been swimming a couple of times with all of my kids, I realize that it's not so scary after all. In fact, it's a rather enjoyable way to spend the afternoon!


2 comments:

Ali said...

Very cute! They look thrilled to death!

The incessant plea to go to the pool is one replayed over and over at our house too!

Sandra said...

Looks like fun. Wish I could be there.

Mom